Our Chapter’s Historic Preservation Projects

In 1935, members placed a marker at the site of the 1876 Old Pierre Trail into the Black Hills. The marker is located in Boulder Canyon along South Dakota Highway 14A between Sturgis and Deadwood, on the north side of the highway by the Boulder Park development near a long row of mailboxes.

In 1940, the Black Hills Chapter NSDAR participated in the planting of a 25-acre “Penny Pines” forest to recognize the 50th anniversary of the founding of DAR. Each state was asked to pledge to purchase pine seedlings that were planted in the National Forest. The seedlings replaced trees lost to fires and overharvesting.

The South Dakota Penny Pines forest is located north of Deadwood, at the junction of South Dakota Highway 85 and North Polo Loop Road. The original sign, that told the history and significance of the Penny Pine forest, disappeared. The Black Hills Chapter NSDAR led the effort to replace the sign. This project was on November 3, 2017, 77 years after the original sign was dedicated.